If there’s one thing that we love here at Amodrn, it’s healthy versions of all our favourite foods—and even more so when they’re nutritionist-approved! This Mexican Pulled Pork & Kidney Bean Tacos recipe by Aussie nutritionist, Brittany Darling (@wholefoodhealing) is sure to help you meet your daily veggie quota and spice up what was probably going to be a pretty standard dinner (are we right!?).
Mexican Pulled Pork & Kidney Bean Tacos
Serves: 8-10 (freezes really well)
Serving suggestion: La Tortilleria GF 100% Corn Tortillas Ingredients:
500g organic or free range pork scotch fillet
1/2 cinnamon quill
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 red capsicum, deseeded and chopped
4 sprigs of fresh coriander
2 brown onions, diced
4 garlic cloves
4-6 fresh red chilli’s, deseeded
1/2 tsp chilli powder
Extra virgin olive oil
400g BPA-free tin of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
400g BPA-free tin chopped tomatoes
4 tbsp tomato paste Method:
1. Pre heat your oven to 120 degrees Celsius
2. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a large cast iron pot or other large pot with the diced brown onions and garlic, cooking for 10 minutes on a medium heat until soft and translucent.
3. Grind up all the dried spices using a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Add them to the onion mix and cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Next, add in the pork fillet to the pot and brown it on all sides.
5. Add in the carrot, capsicum, tinned tomatoes, 1/2 cup water and tomato paste and mix well. Place the pot in the oven, with lid on and leave to slow cook for 5-6 hours.
6. Half an hour before you intend to serve, remove the pot from the oven and add in the kidney beans. Mix well and place back in the oven for half an hour.
7. Remove from oven and using a fork pull the pork apart. The meat should com away easily and mix with the sauces.
8. To serve: add a heaped tablespoon of chilli con carne mix to a tortilla, top with shaved red cabbage, a dollop of guacamole and drizzle of sour cream. Squeeze with lime and enjoy! For more delicious taco recipes, click here and here!