Don’t know about you, but here at Amodrn, we really can’t say no to a good taco! Whether it’s at your favourite Mexican joint or made yourself at home, the best part is that you can assemble it to your liking and experiment with different ingredients. With mango season in full swing, we thought it’d be fitting to share with you this fish taco recipe that’s equal parts sweet and sour. If you have any food intolerances, there’s a few simple swaps you can make without missing out on the real deal! Opt for wholemeal or gluten-free, corn-based tortillas and try coconut yoghurt instead of sour cream.
FISH TACOS WITH MANGO & JALAPENO SALSA
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 25 mins Cooking Time: 6 mins
1 large avocado, mashed
2 tbs sour cream
½ lime, juiced
600g thick white fish fillets (such as ling)
2 tbs fajita seasoning
1 tbs plain flour
vegetable oil, for cooking
3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
8 mini flour tortillas warmed to serve
1. To make salsa, cut the cheeks from the mangoes. Using a large spoon remove the mango fruit from the cheeks and cut into 1cm cubes. Combine with remaining salsa ingredients.
2. Combine avocado, sour cream and 1 tbs lime juice. Season. Cut fish into 3cm wide pieces.
3. Combine seasoning and flour in a shallow dish.
4. Heat enough oil to cover base of a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Dip half the fish in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Add to hot oil.
5. Cook, turning occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, or until fish is cooked. Remove to a plate. Repeat with remaining fish and flour mixture.
6. To serve, spread tortillas with avocado. Top with cabbage, fish and mango salsa.