Endless crunches, countless planks — yep, if you’re anything like us, you’ve tried everything to get that core in tip-top shape. So, if you’re looking for a new challenge, look no further. We sought out Kate Kendall for her favourite strengthening and shaping core workout. And boy, does it burn.
This is a sweet little sequence with hand weights (try 3kgs) to build core awareness and strength. It’ll also help sculpt and tighten abs for those summer days of fun in the sand – Kate Kendall.
- Start on all fours and breath five deep, conscious breaths.
- Left-hand stays flat on the floor whilst you hold the weight with your right hand.
- Ensure the left hand is directly under left shoulder, knees directly under hips.
- Inhale the right hand out to the right, shoulder height slowly.
- Exhale right hand slowly back down with control.
- Five reps.
- On all fours, place your weight to the side to have both palms flat under your shoulder.
- Inhale right leg back behind you around hip height.
- Exhale squeeze right knee into the chest to round out upper back and hold for 3 seconds.
4. Inhale right leg back again
5. 5 reps.
- From your Tiger Curl right side, grab weights, lie on your back, bend knees and place feet at hip distance and parallel.
- Press into all four corners of both feet and as you inhale lift hips slowly to ceiling as you also lift weights as pictured above.
3. Take the weights to a point where you still have core control. i.e. you don’t have to go all the way to the floor.
4. As you exhale, slowly lower the weights down to your side with control.
5. Five reps.
Weighted Belly Lifts
- With weight on your stomach, interlace your hands behind your head and ease the elbows back to encourage an open chest.
- Inhale and lift your tailbone only.
- Exhale and lower.
- Ten reps.
Note: The movements are very subtle. Try lifting the feet straight up to sky as opposed to curling through the rips or chest.
Repeat on your left side for Deltoid Swings and Tiger Curls, finishing off with Bridge and Belly Lifts.