There’s not too many times in life that’ll allow you to have your cake and eat it too, but the creative little cookies over at GoodnessMe Boxhave put together a recipe that may let you do just that! Entirely vegan and free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar, this chocolate coffee cake (two of our favourite things!) combines the goodness of almond meal, flaxseed, cacao, banana and coconut oil to bring you a deliciously dense cake recipe that’s sure to satisfy your sugar cravings minus the dreaded crash. Perfect for special occasions or as an afternoon treat, simply pair with a cup of herbal tea for guilt-free indulgence.
Recipe: Vegan Chocolate Coffee Cake
450g mashed banana
½ cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup melted coconut oil
2 tsp organic coffee
3 cups almond meal
½ cup ground flaxseed meal
1 cup raw cacao powder
2 tsp baking powder
Raspberries, coconut flakes and cacao nibs to decorate (optional). Coconut frosting
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
½ cup coconut cream
¼ cup coconut butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp maple syrup Method
1. Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced and line a cake tin with baking paper.
2. Blend bananas, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and espresso powder in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
3. In a bowl combine the almond meal, flaxseed, cacao powder and baking powder.
4. Pour the banana mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Spoon into a prepared baking tin and smooth out the top.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Meanwhile, combine all of the frosting ingredients into a blender until smooth.
8. Once the cake is cool spread over frosting and top with raspberries and coconut. Recipe created by GoodnessMe Box, Australia’s largest health food sampling service. Want more from where this came from? Be sure to check out founder of GoodnessMe Box,Peta Shulman’s favourite healthy packaged snacks you can eat at work here.