That being said, unlike meat, no plant contains all nine essential amino acids meaning that no plant food can provide a complete protein. So, when eating vegan meals, it’s important to consider the ingredients and their nutritional profile, which is just what our friend, Lola Berry has done.
“You really don’t feel like you’re missing out on anything with this meal. It’s full of veggies and also provides you with a full range of the essential amino acids you need in your diet through the inclusion of chopped almonds. Protein combining like this is especially great for vegans, as it can be hard to get all these amino acids on board without ‘complete’ protein foods like eggs, meat or fish. It helps that this is super delish, too!” – Lola Berry
This protein-packed breakfast is the perfect way to start the day. Enjoy!
Vegan Chickpea And Kale Scramble
GF | DF | V
1⁄2 cup chickpea (besan) flour
1⁄2 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 cups finely chopped kale, stalks removed
1 zucchini, grated
100 g asparagus (about 1⁄2 bunch), trimmed and chopped
salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons roughly chopped almonds, activated if possible
juice of 1⁄2 lemon
4 slices of paleo bread
1 avocado, sliced into slivers
- Place the chickpea flour and almond milk in a bowl and mix together to make a chunky batter. Stir in the yeast and turmeric and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until the onion starts to go a bit translucent.
- Add the kale, zucchini and asparagus and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then pour in the chickpea batter and season to taste.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring until the mix starts to set a little and look like scrambled eggs.
- Place a couple of slices of paleo bread on each plate, top with a few slivers of avo and divide the scramble between both plates.
- Sprinkle over the almonds, add a big squeeze of lemon and serve.