Let’s be frank: how often do you eat salad because you’re craving it and how often is it because it’s what you think you should be having? You munch away on your leafy lunch day in, day out because you’re “being good” — amiright?
But we’re only human and no matter how hard we try, sometimes we just can’t stomach another piece of lettuce. Well, the good news is, you don’t have to. Believe it or not, you can make a healthy salad sans foliage. All you need is some nutrient-packed vegetables, a high-quality protein and a delicious dressing that won’t ruin your calorie count.
The proof is in the pudding with this broccoli and bacon “salad” from beach body trainers, the Buf Girls. Packed full of nutrients, protein and healthy fats, it’ll provide a slow-release of energy to keep you charging til dinnertime. Plus, it’s drizzled with an amazingly creamy, low-cal salad dressing made with natural yoghurt, tahini and apple cider vinegar (which we all know is double thumbs up for weight loss). Prep it ahead of time and pack it for lunch or whip it up in a matter of minutes. If you’re vegan, check out the swaps below.
Broccoli and Bacon Salad
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
For the dressing
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Finely dice the broccoli and place in the bowl with the red onion and flaked almonds
- Place a frying pan over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until the bacon is golden brown.
- Remove the bacon from the pan, allow to cool slightly, then add to the bowl with the broccoli and onion.
- To make the Yoghurt Dressing, place all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix until well combined
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli and bacon mixture and fold through until the salad is evenly coated.
+ Make it vegan… substitute coconut yoghurt for the natural yoghurt and replace the bacon with thinly sliced pan-fried tempeh, or pan-tossed seeds/nuts and croutons (just cube some grainy bread and fry in the pan!)
This recipe is an extract from Totally Buf: Your 6-Week Guide To Becoming Beautiful, Unstoppable and Fearless, published by Hachette Australia, AU$34.95.