Rebecca Miller (Founder of Health with Bec) is a Clinical Nutritionist, specialising in weight loss and women’s health. Her love of nutrition spurs her on a mission to help others, with the most up to date and evidence-based information. Rebecca specialises in making meal plans and has now worked one on one with over 600 women from around Australia.
She has also released three ebooks, which have collectively helped nearly 2000 women worldwide, her most recent ebook being her Low Carb Winter Warmers recipe eBook.
“I love this recipe because it is definitely one of those meals that feels indulgent and filling, yet it is so incredibly healthy, guilt free and low calorie! Put it this way, it tastes like it should be a lot more! Simply swapping a typical potato mash to cauliflower mash saves 190 calories and 38 g carbs.”
“Cauliflower and cabbage are two of my favourite vegetables to promote and include in recipes as they fall under the cruciferous vegetable family. Cruciferous vegetables contain compounds that have been proven to reduce the risk of developing cancer which is pretty amazing! They’re also super high in prebiotics, which help your gut thrive and promote optimal gut health. Asparagus is also a low in calories, helps decrease gas in the intestines and also acts as a natural diuretic, so the inclusion of this, along with the low carb, low calorie, filling nature of the meal helps people on their weight loss or maintenance journeys!
This meal is also super high in iron and contains some of nearly every single vitamin and mineral your body needs!”
Recipe: Garlic Pork With Cauli Puree, Sweet ‘N’ Sour Cabbage
Calories: 404 kcal
Protein: 43 g
Fat: 15 g
Net Carbs: 18 g
- 2 lean pork fillet steaks (approx. 150 g each)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast flakes)*
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp almond milk*
- ½ small head cauliflower (approximately 140 g)
- ½ head red cabbage (approximately 300 g)
- ½ red onion
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1 tsp stevia
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 spears asparagus
1. Slice cabbage and onion finely and chop cauliflower into small florets.
2. Rub the pork fillets in 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic powder and a sprinkle of salt and leave to marinate whilst you prepare the cauliflower puree and cabbage.
3. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, stevia, caraway and celery seeds; set aside.
4. Place cabbage and onion in a saucepan; add a small amount of water. Cover and steam until tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Then, while the cabbage is cooking, make the cauliflower puree by steaming the cauliflower until well cooked. In a food processor, add the cauliflower, milk, butter and parmesan and blend until very smooth. If it’s too thick, add a little more almond milk. Season with salt. Set aside (keep warm in oven if desired).
6. Once cabbage is tender, add vinegar mixture; toss to coat then season with salt and pepper and return the lid to keep it warm.
7. Heat a pan over medium – high heat, then add the pork and cook until desired (about 4 minutes each side). Also, add the asparagus to pan fry it until tender, or simply steam it!
8. Assemble half of each element on a plate!
Tips and swaps:
- This recipe goes beautifully with beef steaks or chicken too! Remember to see protein conversions page if you want to change your protein source whilst keeping the calories fairly consistent.