Whether you’re following a keto diet and are onto your ‘high carb’ day, looking for alternatives to replace your daily bread intake, or simply just love sweet potato, the versatile veggie acts as the perfect base to add any toppings to.
Pete Evans, author of Easy Keto, says: “You can use your toaster (they might need a few turns to get them nice and crispy) or you can pan-fry or roast them until golden and cooked through.”
Keto Recipe: Sweet Potato Toasts With Bacon & Avocado
Serves 4 as a snack
Per Serve: Total carbs: 15 g | Net carbs: 9 g | Fat: 19 g | Protein: 6 g | Fat 68% | Protein 10% | Carbs 22%
1 large sweet potato, cut into 5 mm thick slices
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or good-quality animal fat*
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
lemon wedges, to serve
4 rindless bacon rashers, chopped 2 avocados
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil 3 teaspoons lime juice, or more to taste
3 tablespoons salmon roe micro herbs, to serve Method
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C (210°C fan-forced). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Place the sweet potato in a single layer on one prepared tray and lightly brush both sides with the coconut oil or fat. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper, then bake for 10 minutes, or until tender.
3. Preheat the oven grill to high.
4. Remove the paper from the tray with the cooked sweet potato and grill the sweet potato for 1–1 1⁄2 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy.
5. Reduce the oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
6. Meanwhile, start on the topping. Spread the bacon in a single layer on the remaining prepared tray and bake for 12–15 minutes until golden and crisp. Transfer to a serving bowl and set aside, keeping warm until needed.
7. Mash the avocados in a bowl. Add the olive oil and lime juice and gently mix with a spoon. Taste, add more lime juice if desired and season with salt and pepper.
8. To serve, spoon some avocado onto the sweet potato toasts, then top with the salmon roe or bacon (or both) and scatter over the micro herbs. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over. Recipe extract fromEasyKeto by Pete Evans, Published by Plum, RRP $24.99