If you’re finally getting into the swing of meal prep for 2019, chances are you need a delicious, healthy sweet treat to add to your rotation. This keto-friendly ginger and turmeric cookie recipe straight from the pages of Pete Evan’s new book, Easy Keto, just so happens to be dairy-free and packed full of protein thanks to key ingredients including hemp seeds, chia seeds and tahini. We dare you to stop at one!
RECIPE: KETO GINGER AND TURMERIC COOKIES
Makes 10 Ingredients
2 tablespoons coconut flour
45 g (1⁄2 cup) desiccated coconut
3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
2 teaspoons white chia seeds
1 1⁄2 tablespoons hulled tahini
1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda pinch of sea salt
60 g sesame seeds
55 ml coconut oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
50 g xylitol
1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla powder
1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 egg, lightly whisked
melted coconut butter, for drizzling Method
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the coconut flour, desiccated coconut, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, tahini, bicarbonate of soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor and blend to fine crumbs. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, stir through the sesame seeds and set aside.
3. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat, then add the maple syrup, xylitol, vanilla, turmeric and ginger. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Add the egg to the coconut flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour in the coconut oil mixture and stir well until you have a soft, sticky dough.
5. Shape the dough into ten walnut-sized balls and gently press flat on the prepared tray, allowing space for the cookies to spread. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6. Once cool, drizzle with some melted coconut butter, if you like, or keep plain. Store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 5 days. Recipe extract fromEasyKeto by Pete Evans, Published by Plum, RRP $24.99