Did you know that eating a variety of colourful foods feed different bacteria in your gut? Not only that, eating the rainbow is a sure-fire way of ensuring you get a wide range of nutrients and minerals to keep your health in tip top shape. This veggie-packed lunch (or dinner) bowl by nutritionist, Jessica Sepel of JSHealth if full of all the good stuff that’ll keep your insides happy. Thanks to a cheeky dollop of tahini for an added dose of healthy fats, enjoy as is or add a boiled egg for an extra hit of protein—or swap it out for 100-150g of your favourite animal protein instead for a wholesome, balanced meal.
JSHEALTH RAINBOW BOWL
Serves: 2 Ingredients:
½ head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 carrot, sliced into thin sticks
2-3 tbsp olive oil
sea salt, to taste
1 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp sesame seeds
400 g organic cooked chickpeas (or 1 tin, rinsed and drained)
½ bunch of kale, roughly chopped
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved For the dressing:
2 tbsp hulled tahini
juice of half a lemon
1-2 tbsp warm water
sea salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C or 360°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Arrange the chopped cauliflower and carrot on the tray. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and season generously with sea salt. Sprinkle curry powder over cauliflower and sesame seeds over the carrots.
3. Place the tray in the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
4. After 25 minutes, remove the tray from the oven and add the chickpeas. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with sea salt.
5. Return to oven for a further 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are golden and the chickpeas are warm.
6. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add kale and sauté until it’s cooked to your liking. Set aside.
7. To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk. Set aside.
8. To serve, divide the cauliflower, carrot, and chickpeas between two bowls. Add the kale and cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with extra sesame seeds and drizzle over lemon tahini dressing. Click here for more nourishing bowls by Jessica Sepel that’ll make your desk lunch less boring!