There’s breakfast, and then there’s waffles. Personally, I’m perfectly happy when the stack is golden with a drizzle of maple syrup and coconut yoghurt…any day of the week. That’s why I’ve teamed up with Teff Tribe to create this mouth-watering, gluten-free recipe, which packs a nutritional punch. Serve this for breakie over the Easter long weekend and you’re guaranteed to impress.
Teff and Banana Waffles
GF: DF: SF: V
YOU WILL NEED
1/2 cup Teff Tribe flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 large eggs, beaten
200ml coconut milk
1 cup mashed banana (approximately 3 bananas)
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons rice malt syrup
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 cup coconut or dairy yoghurt
1 banana, sliced
1/2 cup blueberries
2 small plums, sliced
1 baked green or red apple (optional)
Opt: edible cornflowers and maple syrup to serve
- In a large mixing bowl combine the teff flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, mashed banana, coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir well. Leave the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn on your waffle maker and allow it too heat. Then cook the waffles for approximately 7 minutes or until golden. The mix should make enough for 6 waffles.
- Remove waffles from waffle iron and slice on the diagonal.
- Drizzle yoghurt around each plate, arrange three waffle havles on each plate, top with fruits, maple syrup and cornflowers and serve.