This is my purely delicious slow cooked broth with clean nourishing flavours that helps to revitalise the body and restore good health. In cookery terms, bone broth is basically just a good homemade stock. We’ve been making stocks for centuries to be used for soups as well as the most magical sauces. As a chef, I like to slowly simmer my stock to extract all the wonderful flavour and goodness from the bones and vegetables used.
Recipe: Organic Chicken Bone Broth w. Ginger Aromatics
1.2 kg organic free range chicken carcass
6 litres filtered water
½ teaspoon flaked sea salt
2 tbsp thinly sliced ginger
1 onion, cut in half and gently charred in a hot dry pan
300 g carrot
100 g celery
2 organic chicken breast fillets
¼ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
600 g Savoy Cabbage, cut into 150 g wedges (see notes)
handful spring onion, sliced
handful coriander leaves to garnish
2. Add sea salt, onion, carrot, ginger and celery.
3. Simmer partially covered over a low heat for 5 hours, skimming the broth regularly to remove any surface fat and scum.
4. Strain the stock through a fine muslin.
5. Refrigerate overnight and remove all the excess fat that solidifies over the top.
- Heat the stock and add the Chicken breast.
- Gently poach the chicken for 12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove and slice thinly.
- Trim the Savoy cabbage then cut into 4 large wedges.
- Pour 1 cup of the chicken stock into a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the cabbage wedges and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook for 5 minutes until tender but still crisp.
- Transfer cabbage into serving bowls and add the sliced chicken breast.
- Pour over the bone broth and garnish with spring onion and coriander.
Notes + inspiration