Have a sweet tooth that’s getting a little hard to satisfy without reaching for sugar-laden desserts? Well you’d be happy to know that this decadent caramel slice is 100% vegan and totally free from refined sugar! Yep, one of the key ingredients is Almo Creme, a product likened to almond butter that’s used as base for making zero-waste almond milk, eliminating the need for the almonds to be soaked and sieved out in one convenient little tub.
The result? A creamy caramel consistency thanks to the combination of brown rice syrup and coconut oil. Raw cacao powder is used for the chocolate layer and added flavour is achieved thanks to dates, vanilla essence and cinnamon. The best part is that this recipe doesn’t even require baking. Simply chill in the freezer, slice and enjoy!
RECIPE: Caramel Slice
(V) (GF) Ingredients Base
• 1⁄2 cup Medjool dates
• 1 1⁄2 cups almonds
• 1 tsp cinnamon Almo Caramel
• 1⁄2 cup Almo Creme
• 1⁄2 cup brown rice syrup
• 1⁄4 cup cold press coconut oil
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• 1 tsp Himalayan salt Chocolate Layer
• 5 tbsp raw cacao powder
• 4 tbsp brown rice syrup
• 1⁄2 cup cold press coconut oil
• 1 tbsp of Almo Milk
• Grease a tart or small baking dish with melted coconut oil. Set aside. Blend dates and almonds in a blender till you have fine crumbs. Add cinnamon and then press into baking dish. Place base in freezer. Combine Almo caramel ingredients and pour over base. Allow to chill in the freezer for 30 minutes. Combine chocolate layer ingredients in a small saucepan and heat on low until coconut oil melts and is well combined. Pour over caramel and freeze for another 10 minutes. Allow Caramel Slice to chill overnight in the freezer or for a minimum of 4 hours. Remove 10 minutes before serving and use a hot knife to cut. Recipe courtesy of www.almomilk.com.au.