There’s a reason meat and three veg was so popular. It’s easy, satisfying and nutritious. This recipe has all those benefits but it’s flavoursome too.
It’s packed full of protein and super lean so it’s perfect for dinner after an evening workout. The flat iron steak legit takes 6 minutes to cook. Pop the brussel sprouts on at the same time and serve up with sunflower seed pesto, fresh rocket and some pecorino—yum.
If you want, you can simply omit the dairy and it still tastes sensational. Plus, you get your weekly hit of iron, protein and zinc from the beef. Win win baby.
15 MINUTE STEAK, PESTO AND GOLDEN BRUSSELS
Gluten Free | Dairy Free (Optional) | Sugar Free | Nut Free
Serves 4 as part of a shared meal or 2 hungry men
400g piece flat iron steak
Pesto: (Nut Free)
2 cups basil leaves, picked
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast+ OR 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
sea salt and black pepper
400g brussels sprouts, halved
2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
2 teaspoons lemon rind, keep the lemon and cut for serving
Parmesan (if desired) and rocket for serving
To make the pesto:
- Place all ingredients for pesto in a high powered blender or food processor and blitz until uniform consistency. Should you wish to make the pesto looser, you can add some extra olive oil.
- Transfer to a jar or air tight container to store.
Alternatively if you’re super short on time or should you not wish to make your own pesto, you can use a good quality store purchased pesto instead.
To cook the steak:
- Season the steak sea salt and pepper and rub with olive oil.
- Heat a grill or fry pan on high and cook steak for 6 minutes, turning every minute so it does not burn on any side.
- Once cooked, remove from pan, cover and allow to rest 4-5 minutes whilst the brussel sprouts cook.
To cook the brussel sprouts:
- Place brussel sprout halves in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, add lemon rind and good pinch of sea salt, then toss to coat.
- Wipe the pan or grill plate clean you used for the steak and cook brussel sprouts 4-5 minutes so they are lovely and golden.
- Slice the steak and place on serving platter or pop back on the grill plate or pan if large enough for serving.
- Arrange brussels and rocket around the pan and add parmesan should you wish.
- Drizzle a few generous tablespoons of pesto over the flat iron, give it all a good squeeze of lemon juice and serve.
+ Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, rich in B vitamins, which has a ‘cheesy’ flavour. Great for those who might be dairy intolerant or allergic, but still want the cheese tasting component to their pesto.