Anyone else start thinking about their next snack the second they finish lunch? No, just us? Either way, having a healthy option on hand eliminates that desire to reach for something less so, and when it comes to that ‘something’ being of the sweet variety, the temptation is very real.
This gluten-free lemon and poppy seed bars recipe from the pages of The Long Life Plan by Faye James may look like a treat that only a pro baker will attempt, but in actual fact are super easy to make.
The creamy glaze you see drizzled over the top consists of cashew butter for all the good fats, maple syrup for added sweetness and fresh lemon juice for a little zest.
RECIPE: Gluten-Free Lemon & Poppy Seed Bars
Serves 8 Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20-25 minutes Ingredients
11⁄2 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 cup maple syrup
1⁄4 cup of lemon juice
Zest of a whole
lemon (about a teaspoon)
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, whites and yolks separated 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
1⁄4 cup poppy seeds Creamy glaze
1⁄4 cup cashew butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F).
2. In a large bowl, combine the maple syrup, zest, egg yolks and vanilla, and fold in almond flour and baking powder until smooth. Stir in the poppy seeds.
3. Whisk the egg whites in a mixer until stiff, adding salt partway through. Fold egg whites into the batter, then place in square baking tray and bake until lightly golden and cooked inside.
4. Cool completely before topping with glaze.
5. To prepare the glaze, stir together the cashew butter, maple syrup and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth, then top your slice. Allow to set before slicing into 8 bars. The Life Long Plan, New Holland Publishers RRP $35. Available from all good book retailers or online at www.newhollandpublishers.com