It’s the same scenario every week. You promise yourself you’re going to spend the Sunday afternoon meal prepping for a healthy week ahead, only to find yourself that come Sunday afternoon, you’re still needing to do a grocery shop or looking for some foodie inspiration so that you’re not eating the same thing for the next five days (because, boring).
Whilst you may think the only easy meal prep options for breakfast are limited to the sweeter varieties (Bircher muesli, overnights oats, protein pancakes), these 5-ingredient egg muffins by nutritionist Jessica Sepel are the ultimate go-to when you’re after something savoury.
They’re made from ingredients you’ll already have in the kitchen (which means you don’t need to do that grocery shop after all), are packed full of protein and fibre and will be ready in under half an hour. Sounds like our type of meal prep!
“These protein and fibre-rich egg muffins are guaranteed to keep you full all morning. I also love having one in my bag as a mid-afternoon snack.” — Jessica Sepel.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C or 360°F. Lightly coat or spray a 12-cup muffin tin with oil.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
3. Add egg mixture halfway up into each space of the muffin tin.
4. Divide the mixed greens and cherry tomatoes between each muffin cup. Add 1 tsp of pesto to each.
5. Add to oven and bake for 20–25 minutes, until the muffins are golden and cooked through. To check if the muffins are cooked, insert a skewer. If it comes out clean, then they’re ready.
6. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4–5 days.